papertrey ink :: quick stitch kits - sewing staples

Hello!  Today is the day I get to share all of my projects from Papertrey Ink's debut Quick Stitch Kit with you!  I'm so excited for you to see what I've done with this kit!  Settle in, my friends...you may be here awhile ;)


The first Quick Stitch Kit will be released on March 9th, and it is entitled "Sewing Staples". Erin has really outdone herself with this one! The stitching dies included help you to make a few different sewing accessories that are not only beautiful, but also super functional.  You will have all of your sewing supplies in order just in time for the new stitching products coming out over the next year!  Not only will this kit help YOU to get organized, but also make wonderful handmade gifts for friends and family.  The team even has a few unconventional uses for these stitching dies that will allow you to take everything in a completely different direction and get more value for your investment in these tools!

SEWING STAPLES KIT CONTENTS:
Custom Printed Tote Bag

Sewing Staples: Scissor Keeper die collection
Sewing Staples: Needle Book die collection
Sewing Staples: Floral Cluster die collection
Sewing Staples: Stitched Floss Bobbin die collection
Sewing Staples: Flowers die collection
Sewing Staples stamp set + label
(1) Wooden Bobbin Box
(2) Heavy white 8-1/2" x 11" sheets cover board
(2) Iron-on 8-1/2" x 11" Transfer sheets 
(1) spool Fresh Snow Satin Ribbon-5 yards
(1) test tube white 8/0 seed beads
(1) pdf download with full instructions


The total retail cost of the "Sewing Staples" Kit is $110. There will be a limited number of these exclusive kits available, so be sure to get yours while you can! Some individual items will be available for sale at a later date.  The "Sewing Staples" Kit will be available for sale beginning on March 9th at 10pm EST, only at Papertrey Ink. Read all the details on Nichole's blog or contact Customer Service with any questions.



While I love the fact that each of these items is meant to sweetly house your sewing tools, I also love that you can get more bang for your buck by using them in unconventional ways.  I think the DIY-er in me is always looking for ways to turn conventional things on their heads so I'm naturally looking for a way to do things a little differently.  Especially when I'm going to spend a bit of money on a craft supply, I always ask: 'What else can I do with it?'


I adore the scalloped scissor keeper and yes, I did actually make one for scissors (coming up next), but I also thought it would be darling as a little flower pouch.  I lined it with wax paper to keep the inside dry and clean and gathered a small bouquet of purple and green flowers to match my Smokey Shadow felt.


A few outside decorations--some from the kit, some not--and in no time I had a cute little gift all ready for giving.  I'm thinking this would also be perfect for Easter bouquets and wild flowers!


Supplies:
Scissor Keeper Die Collection (Sewing Staples Kit)
Flower Die Collection (Sewing Staples Kit)
Felt: Smokey Shadow, Vintage Cream (PTI)
Happy Harlequin Stamp Set (PTI)
True Black Ink (PTI)
White Seed Beads (Sewing Staples Kit)
Embroidery Floss: Purple - DMC 154
Metallic Gold Thread (Coats & Clark)
Vintage Purple Ribbon
White Tag (Avery)
Purple cabochon
Gold glitter stem
Mini glitter clothespins


When I'm creating large-scale projects for creative teams, I often prefer to give meaning and substance to my work by making gifts.  There's usually a long-winded back story that goes with each project and it's no different this time.  I've been gathering the odd vintage notions for a few years now and one of my favorite collections belonged to my Grandma Peg.  After she passed, my mother kindly handed down many of her trims and buttons and I've hoarded them for years--always fearing they were too priceless to use.  Then the Sewing Staples kit came along, with it's neat and tidy little holders for all of my favorite sewing tools and accoutrements.  And it gave me an idea...


Wouldn't it be nice if I passed along a few of the beloved treasures to my aunt?  My mom is no longer with me or I would have made her a set, too.  I'm not sure my aunt is keen to have loads and loads of these notions but I prepared a few things for her as keepsakes--a handmade, meaningful gift from me to her.


The first thing I made was the scissor pouch in Melon Berry and Vintage Cream felts.  I kept it simple with a single flower and a couple of cute tags--one from paper, using a stamp from the kit, and one made with Aqua Mist felt, using the bobbin die.


Supplies:
Scissor Keeper Die Collection (Sewing Staples Kit)
Flower Die Collection (Sewing Staples Kit)
Floss Bobbin Die Collection (Sewing Staples Kit)
Felt:  Aqua Mist, Melon Berry, Vintage Cream (PTI)
Heavy White Card Stock (Sewing Staples Kit)
Sewing Staples Stamp Set (Sewing Staples Kit)
White Seed Beads (Sewing Staples Kit)
Metallic Gold Thread (Coats & Clark)
Embroidery Floss: Melon - DMC 352; Aqua - DMC 964
White Strung Tag (Avery)


I did something slightly different with the bobbins, using them for some vintage trims instead of cataloguing my embroidery floss--although I definitely think that is a must-do future project!   The bobbins are such sweet things all on their own, but I wanted to add a little extra detail so I die cut some hearts and pinned one to each trim.  (I included a couple extra bobbins in case my aunt has her own ribbons she wants to add.)


Supplies:
Floss Bobbin Die Collection (Sewing Staples Kit)
Flower Die Collection (heart) (Sewing Staples Kit)
Felt:  Aqua Mist, Melon Berry (PTI)
Heavy White Card Stock (Sewing Staples Kit)
Embroidery Floss: Melon - DMC 352; Aqua - DMC 964


Years ago, my aunt sewed the tiniest of quilts for my mom.  She attached some buttons to a few of the squares and embroidered "My Button Collection" onto it.  It has hung in my mother's office since the day it was given to her.  I first thought of filling the kit's wooden box with Grandma Peg's buttons and giving them to my aunt that way, until I remembered that miniature quilt and how I could make something similar from the needle book patterns.

 

I chose some of the prettiest buttons and stitched them to the smaller Aqua Mist felt piece before stitching that piece to the larger white scalloped backing.  I added a couple of flowers, too, and used the small rectangular die as a tab at the top.  (It's part of the Needle Book Die Collection.)  I folded it in half and stitched it in place to make a loop.  I hope my aunt enjoys her pretty keepsakes!


Supplies:
Needle Book Die Collection (Sewing Staples Kit)
Flower Die Collection (Sewing Staples Kit)
Felt: Melon Berry, Vintage Cream, Aqua Mist (PTI)
White Seed Beads (Sewing Staples Kit)
Metallic Gold Thread (Coats & Clark)
Embroidery Floss: Melon - DMC 352; Aqua - DMC 964


My final project is another needle book that is not a needle book!  It is closer to a book than the previous one, though--it's folded--and I filled this one with handmade tags.  I stitched a pocket to the inside, using Limeade Ice felt, and made 5 flower tags to put in it.


The tags are simple and sparse but I'm really pleased with the way they turned out.  I stamped leaves (using the stamp set from the kit and Limeade Ice ink), then cut a few different flower shapes out of Raspberry Fizz and Vintage Cream felts.  Some I stitched to add interest, while others I left bare.


I used the same die for the tab closure that I used to create the loop on the button keeper in the previous project.  This time, though, I only stitched it to the back of my book.  I added a small swatch of Velcro to the front of the book and the tab to keep the book closed.  If you don't prefer the Velcro, the set contains dies to cut ribbon slots.  Thread your trim through, tie, and you're all set!  I know some of the other girls have projects that demonstrate this technique (I have links to each of their blogs at the end of this post, or you can head to Nichole's blog and find them there.)


Supplies:
Needle Book Die Collection (Sewing Staples Kit)
Flower Die Collection (Sewing Staples Kit)
Felt: Raspberry Fizz, Limeade Ice, Vintage Cream (PTI)
Sewing Staples Stamp Set (Sewing Staples Kit)
Limeade Ice Ink (PTI)
White Seed Beads (Sewing Staples Kit)
Embroidery Floss: Raspberry - DMC 956; Cream
White Strung Tags (Avery)
Velcro


Well...do you think this is something you might want to try?  Erin's kit is amazing--she has literally thought of everything whilst designing it, and as I toiled away on my projects this last week and a half, I found myself wondering just what was going on inside that creative brain of hers.  Confession:  I really don't know that much about sewing (ssshhh, don't tell)...but that's kind of the genius behind the Quick Stitch Kits: You don't have to!  If you can thread a needle, you're basically good to go.  Honestly.  The rest is just fun!


Please be sure to pay a visit to the other ladies on the team--we've all been working hard on these projects and I know their blogs will be full of inspiration for you!  And don't forget--the kit will be released on March 9th!

Enjoy your weekend!

Comments

  1. I LOVE your samples and especially love the little booklet filled with tags - what a sweet gift. I am so excited to get my own kit and begin making gifts. i have several of Erin's other stitching dies and have been able to create many gifts with them. She is a genius at this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, I love all your samples and the tag booklet is something I can't wait to create. Your color combinations are awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in love with this set when I saw Erin's idea, but now as I go through all of the design teams post I love it even more!! What great ideas you have! The tag book is a great idea! Thanks for sharing all your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such sweet and unique samples! I love the vintage trim bobbins and the little tag book! Fun ideas! And the colors on the first floral holder are gorgeous. :)
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! You went to TOWN! This is all so beautiful, and through your whole post I kept falling in love with your colour combos. You clearly had fun with your kit! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your choice of colours and the imaginative way you used the kit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your projects are great, but the tag book is really sweet! And I love how you did the little angle stitch in the corners on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post is filled with great and different ideas and I love each and every one. My favorite is the scissor holder filled with flowers. I will have to make one for my kitchen fridge as a magnet. It will cheer the room up a lot. Every photo showed another great idea and I loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rebecca,

    Loved every one of your creations, but the small tags melted my heart!!!

    Cariños,
    María Alba

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are the most gorgeous creations I have seen in a long, long time, totally adorable and I want them NOW!! You are extremely talented Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all, your projects made my heart skip a beat. They are so sweet, cheery, delightful, inspiring, lovely, wow - despite my verbosity I am actually speechless. I can't wait to try some of this. I hope you do a post on the new stuffies kit. I hope that they sell the bobbin boxes individually soon because one is just not enough. I was also wondering where you got the gold glitter stem because after an internet search, I simply cannot find any decent ones that look merry not tacky. Thank you again and let me know if you have any suggestions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! Where do you get your felt?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

i do appreciate your comment!
~Rebecca